Monday, April 5, 2021

letters to grandmother

 Dear Mom,                                                                                    April 5, 2021

Happy Easter, The Lord has Risen, The Lord has Risen indeed.  This is your daughter Kathy in Tennessee writing you your weekly memory letter.  You mom, made Easter a very special time in our life when we were growing up and even when we had our own children.

Easter at our house was a dress-up occasion. You made sure that Bobbie and I   always got new spring dresses, white gloves, hats, socks with lace, and new shoes.  I never really liked to get dressed up, except on Easter when it was springtime and my dresses had ruffles and lace and made me feel like princes.  I loved to twirl around and make my skirt take flight.

No one in our household was fond of hard-boiled eggs especially me. Back then, there were no such things as hollow plastic eggs, so you would tap a small hole at each end of the raw egg and blow them out. The eggs were hollow then and we would dye them and decorate them and eventually hide them over and over again till they got smashed or stepped on by the neighbor kids.

The Easter bunny usually hid candy marshmallow eggs for us to find in the house and there was always a chocolate Easter bunny in our baskets.  I always ate the ears first but not until after Church.

You were the source for the Easter Dresses for our girls.  You would send sister dresses with ruffle pinafores.  I used to laugh because you once told me that you hated pinafores when you were growing up.  I asked you,”  Why if you hated      pinafores,  you kept sending them to my daughters.”  You  laughed and said, “because they are cute and I don’t have to iron them.”

You loved to garden and would have flowers on the table and decorate the living room with Easter items.  You always took us to church every Sunday and especially on Easter Sunday when we really thought we were “the Easter Parade” and looked fabulous .”

You made every event in the calendar a reason to celebrate and taught me the joy of being a family.  You made family celebrations special even when we did not have family members nearby.

Thank you Momma for your Godly influence and example.  We love you and pray for you every single day.  We can’t wait to visit you, hold your hand and tell you the stories of your life in person.  If all goes well we will be making our way to Alabama to see you soon.

 

     Love,   Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment